Winter is reaching its peak, and it’s the perfect time to cuddle up in a warm fuzzy blanket, sip on a hot steaming beverage, and snack on some yummy cookies. Each year, I bake a batch of different cookies, including sugar cookies, butter cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. However, I decided to cozy up with some gluten-free bourbon brown butter pecan cookies this year.
Brown butter cookies are making the rounds this winter because of their deep, rich, and irresistible nutty flavor. Throw in some chocolate chips and a dash of bourbon, and you have yourself the chewiest, softest, melt-in-the-mouth cookies, fit to devour on a freezing winter night with a cup of hot milk.
And that’s what I’m sharing with you today: The ultimate gluten-free bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Why We Love Bourbon Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies?
We love bourbon cookies, we adore pecan cookies, and we simply can’t resist chocolate chip cookies. How about mixing all three of our favorite cookies with some brown butter to bake the most delicious cookies of all time?
This cookie recipe consists of butter browned to perfection, pecan nuts toasted in butter, dark chocolate chips, and a dash of bourbon. But as it’s a gluten-free recipe, we will use gluten-free all-purpose flour.
But what is it that makes these cookies an all-time favorite? It’s the texture: Crispy on the edges, soft in the middle, and oozing with rich chocolate flavor.
Bourbon brown butter pecan cookies are the best option for holiday cookies, late afternoon snacks, kids’ lunch boxes, or something to munch on a movie night. You can even take them to a potluck supper or wrap them up in ribbon and send them as a Christmas gift to your loved ones. These versatile bourbon brown butter cookies are definite crowd-pleasers!
Ingredients for Bourbon Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Here are the main ingredients for this recipe:
● Butter: Browned butter adds a nutty, caramelized, and rich flavor to the cookies. I used unsalted butter and browned it to a perfect golden color; however, you can also use salted butter, but make sure it’s softened at room temperature.
● Gluten-free All-Purpose Flour: As we’re making gluten-free bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies, we will use gluten-free all-purpose flour. The best gluten-free flours are almond flour, corn flour, brown rice flour, and chickpea flour.
● Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Baking powder and baking soda make your cookies rise to give them a light and fluffy look.
● Brown Sugar: Brown sugar is the primary ingredient that helps make your cookies chewy, moist, and dense.
● Granulated Sugar: Granulated sugar makes the cookies chewy and crispy. If you’re looking for soft melt-in-the-mouth cookies, you can use powdered sugar.
● Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract enhances the taste of all other ingredients. It also gives the cookies a sweet and delicious aroma.
● Bourbon: Bourbon’s vanilla, caramel, and toasted marshmallow-like flavor make it a delicious addition to these brown butter cookies.
● Eggs: Eggs bind all the ingredients together in the dough. Make sure to use eggs at room temperature for this recipe for easy blending.
● Dark Chocolate Chips: I used dark chocolate chips; however, you can also use milk chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or white chocolate chips, based on your preference.
● Chopped Pecans: We will use half the pecans to make buttered pecans and the rest as toppings on the cookies.
● Flaky Sea Salt: Sea salt intensifies the flavor of your cookies and adds a distinct crunch to them.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some valuable tips and tricks for the bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies:
1. When browning the butter, stir it with a wooden spoon, so it does not burn.
2. Chop the pecans before toasting them.
3. Sprinkle some flaky sea salt on your bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies as you take them out of the oven for a delicious sweet and salty combination.
4. Make sure to bake the cookies for only 12 minutes or less; otherwise, they will turn out dry and crumbly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I have answered some commonly asked queries below:
Q. Can we skip bourbon from the recipe?
No problem, skip bourbon from the recipe and add water instead.
Q. Can I use dairy-free butter for this recipe?
Of course, you can use dairy-free or vegan butter for this recipe but you have to skip the browning process.
Q. Can I use regular all-purpose flour?
I use regular all-purpose flour to make these bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies; however, they won’t be gluten-free.
Q. How to store the bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies?
Store the bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. These cookies can also be freezed for up to 3 months by placing them in an air-tight container and separating each cookie with parchment paper.
Q. How to get perfectly round cookies?
Use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough balls to get perfectly round cookies.
How to Make Bourbon Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies?
The bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies are so quick and easy to make; you can prepare them in under half an hour. It’s a simple mix-and-bake recipe that involves mixing all the dry ingredients, i.e., gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda. The second step is combining sugar, brown butter, and other wet ingredients, including bourbon, vanilla extract, and eggs.
Once the dough is ready, you just have to fold in the chocolate chips and buttered pecans. Now make 1-inch dough balls, flatten them using your hands, drizzle some chocolate chips and chopped pecan nuts on top, and pop them in the oven until they turn golden brown.
And that’s all! Your chewy, gooey bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies are ready!
Bourbon brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies (gluten-free)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter *1 cup
- 2.5 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup dark chocolate chip *plus extra for topping
- 1/3 cup chopped pecan *for topping
- 1/2 tbsp flaky sea salt
- 1.5 cups chopped pecan
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the buttered pecans, melt 1 ½ tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped pecans to the skillet and stir to coat in the butter. Allow the pecans to toast for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To brown the butter, add 1 cup of butter to a medium skillet on medium heat. Stir frequently and cook just until the butter turns an amber color with brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Promptly remove the skillet from the heat and pour browned butter into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add gluten-free flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add cooled brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Use a hand mixer to cream together.
- Add bourbon and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing for about 15 seconds each time.
- Fold the flour mixture into the batter, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips and chopped buttered pecans.
- Use a ¼ cup cookie scoop to scoop the batter onto a large baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches between cookie dough balls.
- Use clean hands to gently flatten each cookie dough ball. Decorate by adding a few additional chopped pecans and chocolate chips to each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle flaky sea salt onto each freshly baked cookie. Allow the cookies to remain on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.